The Tourism Administration Program started as an Independent course in Himachal Pradesh University in the year 1992 under the Institute of Vocational Studies, Faculty of Commerce and Management. The programme was initiated keeping in view the growing importance of the Tourism Industry to the country. The flourishing of Tourism in the country created a sudden demand for Tourism Professionals to serve in the Industry. Realizing the dearth of educated Tourism Professionals and the vast avenues of employment opportunities available in this field, it was decided to introduce a post graduate degree in Tourism. Himachal University was one of the earliest Universities in the country and second in the Northern Region to start a Master of Tourism Administration Degree. The Degree included papers on Tourism and Management along with Foreign Language instruction, field trip to some known tourist destination within India and hands-on-work experience in Tourism provided through a 6 month on- the- job training with any tourism related organization. To deliver lectures on Tourism, faculty from the University and Tourism Scholars and professional were invited.
The Course Curriculum was revised from time to time as per the requirements of the Tourism Industry. This has helped to include the latest emerging concepts in Tourism and the Travel trade and orient the students in accordance with the contemporary tricks of the trade. The latest syllabus of the Master Program is strictly according to UGC NET tourism management curriculum.
In the year 1999, a separate Independent Institute of Vocational Studies was set up that now offers Tourism and Hospitality Programs.
The department has a Faculty comprising Director (Professor), Professors and Assistant Professor along with resource persons.
An advisory board consisting of eminent personalities from academics and tourism trade has been constituted including the Vice Chancellor of H.P. University, the Director of Institute of Vocational Studies and faculty members of Tourism Department, HPU, along with members from Department of Tourism and Civil Aviation, Himachal Pradesh, IHM faculty members and professionals from Travel and Hospitality organizations. From time to time the Advisory Board guides the Institute on course curriculum amendments and practical orientation of students. The members of the Board are frequently invited for Seminars and guest faculty lectures to promote interaction with the students.
The Department has its own Placement Cell for the students under the Placement Officer Dr. Nitin Vyas. Assistant Professor. The placement cell is in continuous collaboration with the Key industry organizations in order to ensure 100 per cent placement of its students on completion of their Degree. 100% placement is being provided to students over the past few years and this has become a drawing factor for many prospective students to seek admission in the Institute's programs..
Other than placements the Institute has now become one of the most popular and most happening Departments of the University on account of constantly enriching and engaging itself both in Academic and Outdoor activities like organizing Seminars, Workshops, National and International Conferences, Tourism Quiz events, trekking, Mountaineering expeditions and Adventure and Leadership Development Camps. Through such regular activities the Department has gained good recognition and carved a niche for itself.
The Institute has good infrastructure and is aiming at bringing in the best facilities and technology to aid the professionals. Presently it has state of the art equipment for delivery of lectures, research and a well equipped library, conference hall and computer lab.
The Institute has a mission of becoming one of the outstanding Academic Institution imparting professional Tourism and Hospitality knowledge and being a major source of gearing Tourism and Hospitality professionals to serve in the Industry. Through dedicated teaching, training, projects and developing a resource base on tourism, the Institute aims to make Tourism and Hospitality education a technical and employment-oriented field of study
The Institute envsions to become a renowned Instiution for providing highly professional human resources to that can be engaged in the business of tourism and hospitality. The Institute's research aims at developing knowledge and expertise through practical application and theoretical knowledge shared in close cooperation between the students and the Industry.
To achive its vision, the Institute has defined objectives as below.
- To mould Tourism and Hospitality Professionals ideally suitable for serving in all fields of the Tourism Industry by way of running academic programs.
- To run academic programs ensuring all round improvement of the Tourism Industry in order to enhance the Quality of Life of host population by imparting education on tourism benefits and enhancing the experience of tourists through delivery of the quality product and services.
- To assist the Tourism Authorities in Tourism Policy Making and effective implementation of Tourism Programs by carrying out research projects and thereby suggesting the overall strategies for the proper growth and development of Tourism
- To create skills and knowledge base for the local population to be involved in serving in the Tourism Industry by way of organizing Seminars, Workshops and Conferences
- To inculcate knowledge of optimum local resource utilization for developing tourism in a sustainable manner and promote balanced regional development on account of tourism by way of producing trained tourism professionals.
- To develop strategies to harness the vast natural and socio-cultural resources of an area for tourism development by way of maintaining proper liaison with Tourism and Allied Departments of the Government and providing them extension activities.
- To educate the people of the benefits of tourism development to their local communities and foster community approach to tourism development by way of organizing outdoor activities of our students like Tourism Expeditions , Adventure and Eco-Friendly Camps.
The Institute has been working in close cooperation with the tourism industry, the education system and government departments to identify their needs for professional expertise and has developed training courses reflecting a high degree of educational creativity. The meshing of the requirements of challenges posed by far reaching changes, sophisticated intense competition with the growing variety of career opportunities in the field of tourism and travel, forms the educational framework of the course offered by the Institute.