Eligibility Criteria For Admission
- M.A. (Education)
- M.Phil. (Education)
- Ph.D. (Education)
- P.G. Diploma in Guidance & Counselling.
- P.G. Diploma in Adult Education
1. Eligibility for B.Ed. Programme:
- The candidates who are interested for seeking admission to regular two years B.Ed. Course may apply online for the entrance test in the Department of Education, Himachal Pradesh University, Shimla, Government College of Teacher Education, Dharamshala and in any of the private/self-financing Colleges of Education should fulfill the following criteria:-
- The candidates with at least 50.00 percent marks or 5.01 if CGPA or Grade B if in letter Grade in the Bachelor’s Degree (Medical/Non-Medical/Commerce/Arts) and/or in the Master’s Degree in the Sciences/Social Sciences/Humanities/Commerce, Bachelors in Engineering or Technology 11 with specialization in Science and Mathematics with 55.00 percent or 5.51 if CGPA or Grade B+ if in letter Grade or any other qualification equivalent thereto.
- At least 45.00 percent or 4.51 if CGPA if in the letter Grade in case of SC/ST/OBC/Physically handicapped categories in the aforesaid Bachelor’s/Master’s Degree and 50.00 percent marks or 5.01 if CGPA or Grade B for Bachelor’s in Engineering or technology from a recognized University established by law in India are eligible for admission in the programme.
Note: (i) No relaxation, even 0.01 percent in the above prescribed percentage of marks shall be granted under any circumstances.
(ii) Pursuant to the Judgment delivered in CWP No. 2465/2018 & CWP No. 2475/2018 by the Hon’ble High Court of Himachal Pradesh with regard to subject combinations in various streams such as Medical/Non-Medical/Arts/Commerce, the existing rules have been modified in conformity with the R&P Rules of the State Government. However, merely awarding the degree of B.Ed. by the H.P. University shall not be construed as a declaration of eligibility of the candidates for the appointment to the post of TGT in Government Sector and to determine the eligibility to such post shall rest upon the concerned appointing authorities of the State Government.
- The candidates who have appeared in BA/B.Sc./B.Com. final year or Bachelor of Engineering/Technology or any other qualification equivalent thereto examination and the result of the same has not yet been declared, can also apply for B.Ed. Entrance Test. However, the admission of such candidates will be depending upon the production of certificate of qualifying examination with required percentage of aggregate marks in the aforesaid examinations as per the eligibility clause of the prospectus. In case, a candidate does not fulfil the eligibility conditions, he/she will have no right for admission to the B.Ed. course. As such, the candidate shall be appeared provisionally at his/her own risk & responsibility.
- Post-graduation is considered only to make those candidates eligible who are not eligible on the basis of qualifying examination but the post-graduation will not be the merit criteria.
1.4 The reservation of seats for SC/ST/OBC/Ex-serviceman/Wives/Wards of Ex-Servicemen/ Wives/Widows/Wards of Defense Personnel and Physically handicapped categories will be as per the existing rules of Himachal Pradesh Government.
1.5 85% seats are reserved for the candidates of Bonafide/Domicile resident of Himachal Pradesh and 15% will be open to the candidates of other states /UTs. It is compulsory for all the candidates to produce bonafide /domicile certificate at the time of admission.
- 10% out of 85% state quota seats in non-government self-financing institutions shall be treated as management quota seats and shall be brought out of the purview of centralized counselling to be conducted by the University. The management of the institute shall fill up management quota seats on the basis of the merit of entrance test through its own counselling in a transparent manner. There shall be no reservation, whatsoever, in respect of the prescribed management quota seats. The basic eligibility criteria shall remain the same as in case of other students.
- Age: There is no upper age limit for candidates applying to the regular B.Ed. Course of two years. (High Court orders in LPA No.: 104 of 2012 decided on August 27, 2012).
2. Eligibility for M.Ed. Programme:
M. Ed. programme will be of duration of two academic years (spread over four semesters) including field attachment for a minimum of 4 weeks and research dissertation. Students will be permitted to complete the programme requirements of the two years programme within a maximum period of three years from the date of admission to the programme. The summer / winter vacations should be used for field attachment / other activities.
2.1(a). Candidates seeking admission to the M.Ed. programme should have obtained at least 50 percent marks or an equivalent grade in the following programmes:
i) . B.Ed.
ii). B.A.B.Ed., B.Sc.B.Ed.
iv). D.El.Ed. with an undergraduate degree (with 50% marks in each)
2.1 (b). Reservation and relaxation for SC/ST/PwD and other applicable categories shall be as per rules of the Central Government/State Government whichever is applicable. Note: No relaxation, even 0.01 percent in the above prescribed percentage of marks shall be granted under any circumstances. (Para 3.2 of Appendix IV of NCTE Notification No. F-51F1/2007- NCTE(N&S)dated 27.11.2007)
2.2 The admissions shall be made on the basis of marks obtained in the entrance test or any other selection process as per the policy of the state government / central government / Himachal Pradesh University by applying 120 reservation point roster of H.P.University, Shimla. The minimum qualifying marks for the entrance test will be 35% (in case of SC/ST candidates, the minimum qualifying marks shall be reduced until the full SC/ST quota for admission has been exhausted) for calling the candidates for Interview / Admission.
3. Eligibility for M.A. (Education)
Candidates seeking admission to the M.A.(Education) course should have obtained at least 50 percent marks in the Bachelor’s/Master’s degree in any discipline /stream from a recognized Indian / Foreign University (Recognized by H.P.University). Reservation for SC/ST/PwD and other applicable categories shall be as per H.P.University rules.
3.1 The admissions shall be made on the basis of merit of the marks obtained by the applicants in the Bachelor’s degree. In addition, 10% weightage (on the marks obtained in B.Ed examination) will be given to the candidates possessing B.Ed degree from a recognized Indian / Foreign University.
4. Eligibility for Diploma Courses
The admission will be made purely on merit, except where otherwise mentioned, subject to the limitation of seats available and the reservation mentioned in para 6. The following are the eligibility conditions for admission to various courses, provided further that for the purpose of admission 0.5% and above marks should be considered equal to 1% marks (Notification No. 4-9/94-HPUAcad. dated 27-6-1995).
(A) Post Graduate Diploma in Adult Education:
Master's degree in any subject from a recognised University or equivalent with atleast 40% marks in the aggregate.
(B) Post Graduate Diploma in Guidance and Counselling:
M.A. (Education) or M.Ed. or M.A.(Psychology) with atleast 40% marks in the aggregate.
5. Eligibility for Master of Philosophy (M.Phil.)
A candidate seeking admission to the M.Phil course must have at least 55% marks (50% in case of SC/ST) in the subject concerned at Master's level. Qualifying marks in the Entrance Test for admission to Master of Philosophy (M.Phil.) shall be 50% (at par with Ph.D.). In case of SC/ST candidates, qualifying marks in the Entrance Test shall be 45%.
6. Eligibility for Doctor of Philosophy (Ph. D.)
Ph.D. is a full time regular course of study pursued by regular attendance in classes and seminars. A candidate seeking admission to the Ph. D. course must have at least 55% marks (50% in case of SC/ST) in the subject concerned at Master's level. The qualifying marks in the Entrance Test for admission shall be 50%. In case of SC/ST candidates, qualifying marks in the Entrance Test are 45%. Applicants for the Ph.D. programme who have qualified NET along with the award of Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) shall be admitted to the programme directly without having to undergo an Entrance Test. For the remaining seats in each department, all other applicants shall have to appear for an entrance test. Additional weightage shall be given to the following applicants:
M.Phil from HPU
1. The written component of the entrance test shall carry 80 percent of the total marks.
2. The interview and discussion on the research proposal of the candidate with the Department Council / Committee shall constitute 20 percent of the total marks